Bicycling benefits and tips!
Biking can be a low-cost, convenient way to get around, do errands, spend family time, or stay healthy. See these ways to overcome challenges and expand your bicycling, including the video to the right on loading your bike on a bus!
Tips on Getting A Bicycle
1) Ask around: people you know may have or know of an unused bicycle that might fit your needs!
2) Local bicycle shops offer many options, or try Ithaca’s Craig’s List, subscribe to Ithaca Freecycle or visit Finger Lakes Reuse at Triphammer Mall. You can also inquire with Bike Ithaca or the Finger Lakes Cycling Club.
3) There are often over 100 bicycles at the Police Auction in the summer. For more information, call 607-272-9973.
4) R.I.B.s, a program of the Southside Community Center, empowers people through sharing skills, shop time and access to quality bikes. For the latest update on RIBS offerings, call the RIBS Coordinator at 273-4190.
Key Safety Tips
1) A helmet is essential protection for all bicyclists; riders under 14 are required by law to wear a helmet.
2) Adults should ride on the right side of the road with traffic unless on a bicycle path, and follow the rules of the road. Obey all stop lights and signs, and steer clear of vehicle blind spots and opening car doors.
3) Wear bright, reflective clothing, and make eye contact with drivers at intersections. Bicycle lights and reflectors are required by law after dark.
More Local Resources
The Finger Lakes Cycling Club offers a listserve for family-friendly rides and topics.
To help plan trips, see a downloadable Ithaca-Tompkins County Bicycle Map.
Visit BikeIthaca offers tips for Cycling in the Cold.
See this map of local bike racks with photos of the actual rack at each location.
Protect your bike: Register it with the Ithaca Police Department at 120 E. Clinton St. weekdays from 8am to 4pm.
Even More Bicycle Resources and Links
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers a bike safety overview.
Bicyclesafe.com has detailed tips on how to avoid being hit while biking.
Bicycling info.org offers sections such as: get motivated, bike safety, planning trips, and bike buddies.