Bicycling benefits and tips!
Biking can be a low-cost, convenient way to get around, do errands, spend family time, or stay healthy. See these ways to overcome challenges and expand your bicycling, including the video to the right on loading your bike on a bus!
Tips on Getting A Bicycle
1) Ask around: people you know may have or know of an unused bicycle that might fit your needs!
2) Local bicycle shops offer many options, or try Ithaca's Craigslist, subscribe to Ithaca Freecycle or visit Finger Lakes Reuse at Triphammer Mall. You can also inquire with Bike Ithaca or the Finger Lakes Cycling Club.
3) R.I.B.s, a program of the Southside Community Center, empowers people through sharing skills, shop time andaccess to quality bikes. See R.I.B.s online for information about bike clinic hours
4) Friends Bike Clinics are free weekly bike repair gatherings. Bring your bicycle and a willingness to get your hands dirty. The clinic provides air pumps, chain oil, tools and expertise.
Key Safety Tips
1) A helmet is essential protection for all bicyclists; riders 13 and under are required by law to wear a helmet.
2) Adults should ride on the right side of the road with traffic unless on a bicycle path, and follow the rules of the road. Obey all stop lights and signs, and steer clear of vehicle blind spots and opening car doors.
3) Wear bright, reflective clothing, and make eye contact with drivers at intersections. Bicycle lights and reflectors are required by law after dark.