Gadabout Bus Services
Gadabout is a non-profit, door-to-door, service for Tompkins County residents who are aged sixty and older, and or who have disabilities. Service runs from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Gadabout is a "demand-response" service which means that Gadabout buses are sent out in response to specific requests for rides.
For people who qualify for ADA paratransit services, Gadabout offers services that cover the same hours and areas as TCAT bus service. For more information, contact TCAT's ADA Paratransit Coordinator 607-277-9388×420. See more below, or contact Gadabout directly with questions, to request a ride or to explore volunteering, at (607) 273-1878; TDD 607-277-9766; Fax: 607-277-9551.
1) You may make reservations days or weeks ahead of time; it's best to call as soon as know the date and time of your appointment or trip; at least two days before your trip is recommended. Ride reservations must be made no later than 11:00 a.m. the business day before your trip.
2) Share any special needs you may have: Do you need a van with a lift? Do you have a walker? An electric wheelchair? Will someone be with you?
3) Tell Gadabout your address, how to find or recognize your house, where you are going, and where you will be for the return pick-up.
4) Be sure to request any additional small stops ahead of time, such as a bank or pharmacy. Extra stops on the way cost $1.50. Gadabout cannot make unscheduled stops, because the delay can make other people late for their appointments.
5) Call Gadabout if you need to cancel your trip or if your plans change, as soon as you know!
6) If possible, confirm your pick-up request before 3:00pm on the business day before your trip.
A one-way Gadabout trip within the City of Ithaca costs $1.50; a one-way trip beginning or ending outside the City of Ithaca is $2.00.
The actual expense for each Gadabout trip is much higher than the current fee. Gadabout accepts and appreciates donations beyond the fare. You can also buy tickets for Gadabout trips by calling the Gadabout office.
Gadabout tries to schedule pick-up times close to people's requests. At the same time, organizing several riders to be transported in a single trip helps keep fares low for everyone.
On the Bus
1) Always use the seat belt. Ask the driver for help if you need it.
2) Keep your seat belt on until the bus comes to a complete stop.
3) Ask the driver to confirm your return trip time and pick-up place, to report changes in your trip, or to report anything that went wrong. You can also offer suggestions or give feedback by calling the Gadabout office.
Volunteer drivers are the heart of Gadabout, and make possible the level of service that is provided. Anyone with a valid NYS driver's license is eligible to become a Gadabout driver. Apprentice training, testing, and licensing is provided. Drivers may offer any amount of time-as little as one half day per week, or as much as desired. To explore volunteering, call Gadabout at 607-273-1878. TDD 607-277-9766.