Travel Safely- Keep Tompkins Safe and Wear a Mask
Travel Safely Amid COVID-19
You may be uncertain about the safest way to get around the area amid COVID-19. You are not in this alone, Way2Go and your local transportation service providers are here to help you feel more comfortable about using your local public and shared transportation options. Please do your part to protect yourself and others from the spread of COVID-19.
What you can do to protect yourself and others
When using public or shared transportation to and throughout Ithaca and Tompkins County, please follow all required health and safety guidelines provided by the local Health Department. Here are a few very important ones to keep in mind when using public or shared transportation.
- You are required to wear a mask. If you do not have one, you may request a mask when boarding a local taxi, Gadabout, or TCAT bus.
- Ithaca Carshare members are required to wear a mask whenever in a carshare vehicle.
- Wear a mask if you carpool. Reduce your risk by carpooling with those you live with.
- Social distance, stay 6 feet away from others when awaiting a TCAT or intercity bus.
- Make essential trips only (ie; work, school, grocery)
- Keep hands sanitized and wipe down surfaces.
- Even once vaccinated or testing negative for COVID-19, follow these guidelines.
- If you are sick, stay home and do not use public or shared transportation.
Remember to bring the essentials each time you head out the door!
- Mask or face covering(s)
- Wipes for cleaning frequently touched surfaces.
- Hand sanitizer. Made available when using TCAT, Ithaca Carshare, and local taxis.
Refer to the CDC Guidelines for Protecting Yourself When Using Transportation
What service providers are doing to keep you safe
Your local TCAT bus service, Ithaca Carshare, and taxi companies are doing all they can to ensure your ride is safe and sanitized. Each is doing one or more of the following:
- Installing barriers on buses to protect the drivers.
- Reducing density in each TCAT bus to a 20 passenger maximum capacity with additional buses serving heavily used routes to ensure riders can get to their destinations in a timely manner.
- Requiring drivers and passengers to wear masks.
- Sanitizing each vehicle thoroughly and frequently.
- Screening for staff according to health and contact tracing standards.
Transportation Service providers may need to make frequent service and route adjustments to keep Tompkins County moving safely along. Stay informed of transportation service adjustments and other transportation-related updates.
You are welcome to reach out directly to service providers with questions or concerns that you may have.
Last updated August 6, 2021