"How To" Fact Sheets
Home Composting Brochure (PDF) (4 pp, 395K)
An excellent resource available on the Cornell Waste Management Institute's web site that touches on about everything. "The Essentials of Composting" section is very helpful.
What is compost and why is it so useful when used as mulch, in the garden or in potting mixtures?
Helpful tips for kitchen management.
- Welded Wire Cylinder Bin (PDF) (1 p, 182K)
A popular, effective and low-cost bin for composting.
- Lasagna Composting (PDF) (1 p, 182K)
The layering technique that minimizes maintenance, deters pests and speeds composting!
- Troubleshooting (PDF) (2 pp, 180K)
Describes symptoms, possible causes and solutions for the most common composting problems.
- Winter Composting (PDF) (1 p, 197K)
How to extend the life of your outdoor composting well into the cold season.
- Vermicomposting Brochure - How to compost at home using a worm bin.
- Standard version (PDF) (4 pp, 211K)
For easier viewing and printing on 8 1/2" by 11" paper
- Brochure to fold (PDF) (2 pp, 209K)
Sizing best if you print (back-to-back) on legal paper, then fold
- Sources of Composting Worms (PDF) (1 p, 292K)
Where to get composting worms for vermicomposting.
- "Stealth" Composting (PDF) (1 p, 342K)
An indoor composting system that defies detection!
OTHER COMPOSTING TOPICS
- Is It Done Yet? (PDF) (2 pp, 702K)
Several simple tests you can do to test compost maturity.
- Compost Uses (PDF) (2 pp, 179K)
Outlines many ways you can use your "black gold" for soil improvement.
- Group Composting (PDF) (1 p, 252K)
Ten steps to success for households, schools, businesses or other interested groups.