Homeowners with private wells are responsible for maintaining their own water supply. Regular testing and inspection is recommended for keeping your drinking water safe.
Below is the list of fact sheets that were handed out at the Private Wells program held on Oct. 22, 2014:
- Your Private Water Well
- Susceptible Water Sources: Well Points, Dug Wells, Springs, Shore Wells, Surface Water, Cisterns
- Water Tight/Vermin-Proof Well Caps
- Common Aesthetic Groundwater Problems
- Recommended Residential Water Quality Testing
- Instructions for Sampling Drinking Water
- Drinking Water Analysis Results
- Coliform Bacteria and Your Drilled Well
- Shock Disinfection of Water Supply Systems
- Permanent Disinfection of Water Systems with Ultraviolet Light
- Permanent Disinfection of Water Systems with Chlorine
Listed below are laboratories which provide information, sampling instructions and containers, and analyses for private or public water supplies in this area. All analyses that are needed to comply with any regulation (such as Part 5 of the New York State Sanitary Code, or the Tompkins County Sanitary Code) must be performed by a laboratory that has been certified by the NYS Health Department. These labs are only certified for the types of analyses listed.
Whether you are concerned about the microbiological quality of your water, the levels of minerals or metals (inorganics), or the possibility of solvent (organic) contamination of your water, we encourage you to contact the Tompkins County Health Department Division of Environmental Health for consultation. If you then choose to use the services of any of these labs, you should call them to obtain instructions and sampling containers from the lab. In no case, should you sample before contacting the lab.
(This listing is for your convenience only, and no representations are made for the quality of the work or the completeness of the listings.)
Labs That Perform Microbiological, Organic and Inorganic Analyses
|Community Science Institute, Inc.
Cornell Business and Technology Park
95 Brown Road; Room 283
Ithaca, NY 14850
Yaws Environmental Laboratory
JLI Environmental Laboratories
Labs For Microbiological Analyses Only