Healthy Summer Foods
Summer is here and for many families, that means gatherings around the grill, picnics and parties galore. Looking for a healthier alternative to chips and dip to serve at your summer parties? Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters, run locally by CCE-Tompkins, has seven delicious dips, packed with healthy ingredients. Bonus: they're easy on your wallet too!
- Mango Salsa -- check the freezer aisle for frozen mangoes if fresh are out of season.
- Tomato Salsa uses canned tomatoes, just look for a product with no added salt.
- Spicy White Bean Dip packs a garlicky punch.
- Tabbouleh is chock full of whole grains.
- Hummus -- only 60 calories a serving.
- Guacamole is cool, creamy and refreshing.
- Fruit and Yogurt Dip will bring a sweet ending to any party!
Serve these delicious dips alongside Homemade Tortilla Chips for more added nutrition and money savings.
Our volunteer chefs and nutrition educators would love to demonstrate some of these recipes at a farmers market, food pantry, school or community center. Please contact Lara Parrilla Kaltman at (607) 272-2292 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in organizing an event.
Visit http://cookingmatters.org/what-we-do/tips-and-recipes/ for more recipes and to learn about Cooking Matters.