Way2Go works with employers to promote healthy commute options in Tompkins County, reducing employee stress around commutes and parking, while also reducing carbon emissions. Employers are providing a low-cost benefit to employees that:
- Increases employee productivity
- Attracts a more diverse workforce
- Improves staff retention
- Reduces commuting costs and
- Saves money in taxes for employee parking
What's more, by supporting sustainable commuting alternatives, these businesses:
- Enhance their organization's positive image
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Make it easier for customers to find parking
- Become leaders in creating the new green economy
Successful Strategies for Employers
- Increase staff awareness of commuter options: Share information on available commute options during on-boarding orientation, at meetings, or through staff newsletters and other channels of communication.
- Assess employee needs through staff surveys and discussions on commute issues and the barriers employees face.
- Offer incentives such as bus passes or priority parking for those who carpool.
- Consider policy changes that support flexible work arrangements to make it possible for staff to walk, bike, catch a bus, carpool, or work remotely more often.
- Set up a process for checking in with staff along the way and consider what adjustments can be made for staff success and job retention.
Actions Employees Can Take
- Come up with a plan for your own commute. Does public transportation serve your needs? Is ride sharing an option? Going multi-modal can often be the most affordable solution. This may mean catching a ride part way then taking a bus, biking or walking the rest of the way.
- Initiate a conversation with your supervisor about how schedule
adjustments would allow you to ride the bus, rideshare, bike or walk to
- Encourage other employees to participate in local, county-wide, and regional commuter challenges, such as bike to work events and activities, or a workplace effort to promote commute alternatives.
- Share commute information with your coworkers.
Way2Go Can Help You
- Identify solutions for work commute needs.
- Explore available technologies that facilitate trip planning and monitor progress.
- Stay on top of the latest developments and changes in transportation options via our quarterly transportation updates.
Last updated December 12, 2019