Assessing your driver capabilities and alternatives to driving
Aging and Driving
Seniors are among the safest drivers on the road due to age and experience, but because of physical limitations, they are also most at risk of harm in an accident. Read on for tips for how to increase your safety behind the wheel, and for alternatives to driving. We also share tips for family members and caretakers.
Stay Safe Behind the Wheel
- Do you fit your car? Do you know how to access your car’s safety tools? Attend a workshop on vehicle safety and driver assessments sponsored by CarFit in partnership with Way2Go.
- Learn about the safety features on your vehicle. Technology is rapidly advancing and many of us don’t fully utilize the safety features on our cars. Visit the My Car Does What website for descriptions and videos to learn how to use your car’s safety features.
- Learn about vehicle recalls and safety updates at SaferCar.org
Assess Your Driving Capability
Tips for Successful Family Conversations about Driver Safety
- Initiate family conversations about driver safety early to help elders prepare for the possibility they may not always be able to drive.
- Choose a neutral non-stressful setting for your conversation, not while you are in the car or in the midst of a driving incident.
- When the weather is bad, why not encourage ride sharing or the use of a ride service for seniors? Explore other alternatives to driving like how to Find a Ride or ways to Save Green.
- Discuss the possibility of moving to a more accessible location to make getting around easier.. You may find the cost of living closer to town is offset by the savings of being able to walk and take public transportation. True Cost Tompkins highlights a few residents who made this and similar shifts.
Alternatives to Driving for Seniors, people with disabilities, mobility device users
Learn more about options available to seniors, people with disabilities and wheelchair users and those with mobility devices through Accessible Mobility Options.
Uber and Lyft are available to access by smartphone. Those without smartphones can access these services by calling Go Go Grandparent for an additional fee.
Last updated February 18, 2020