About Home Energy Assessments

A home energy assessment identifies where your home is losing energy and describes easy cost-effective improvements you can make to reduce energy costs and indoor air pollutants while increasing comfort. During the assessment, a Building Performance Institute (BPI) accredited energy efficiency contractor will evaluate insulation levels and determine the efficiency of heating systems, household appliances, and lighting.

A thermal imaging camera identifies heat loss through walls and reveals areas that need insulation. In the photos on the left, the darkest colors indicate areas that are missing insulation.

Air leaking from the house is measured using a blower door, a large fan affixed to an exterior doorway that identifies areas in your home that need air sealing. The contractor will also test for carbon monoxide leakage and suggests ways to reduce your exposure to mold, carbon dioxide, and other pollutants.

Most homeowners qualify for a no or reduced cost energy assessment. In order to qualify for financial assistance to have work done to improve your home’s energy efficiency, you need to have an energy assessment done by a certified contractor. After an assessment, you will know where your house is losing energy and the cost-effective improvements that are recommended. 

NOTE: If your house has asbestos or vermiculite insulation, or any other asbestos containing material (ACM), certified contractors are prohibited from conducting blower door tests or other assessments until those materials are removed, as disturbing them can constitute a major health and safety hazard. Please click here for more information on identification and removal of ACMs. 

Are you a homeowner?

How much you pay is based on comparing your household income to your county’s median income. Add the income of ALL the residents in the house then see if that household income matches or is lower than the chart linked below. 

Situation 1

If your total household income fits within this Income Eligibility chart (under 60% median income), contact the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and the EmPower New York Program to apply for a no-cost energy assessment and no-cost energy upgrades for the building you own.

Situation 2 

If your household income is above the amounts in the chart above for your household size, find your income on the chart on page 2 of this form to learn how much the energy assessment will cost you if you apply for funding through NYSERDA. 

This chart compares your household income to the median income in your county, also called the Area Median Income.

Write down the percentage of median income for your household income. You will need that percentage to take the next step and apply for an energy assessment.

If your household income is above 400% of the county average, skip the paperwork and call a certified contractor directly.

Are you a landlord? 
Find information here.

Last updated April 12, 2020