Renter Energy Upgrades

If you rent your home, you can benefit from energy efficiency upgrades.  Whether you pay your utility bills or your landlord pays them, there are programs to subsidize energy upgrades. 

Renter Situation 1: Weatherization Assistance Program and EmPower

You may be eligible for a no-cost home energy assessment and significantly reduced-cost upgrades through the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and the EmPower New York Program if you meet program income requirements.  If you qualify, apply for both programs.

Work with your local WAP agency and EmPower contractor to make recommended improvements at reduced or no cost to you. Some measures may need landlord approval.

Don’t qualify for WAP or EmPower?  Learn how you can get an energy assessment at reduced or no-cost through the Home Performance with Energy Star® 

Renter Situation 2: Home Performance with Energy Star® Program

If you live in a building with 1-4 apartments, you may be eligible for a reduced or no-cost home energy assessment through NYSERDA’s Home Performance with Energy Star®  Program.  Encouarage your landord to apply! 

More details for landlords are available here.

Last updated April 12, 2020