Client using the Gadabout bus; way2go

Transportation options for people with disabilities and limited mobility

Accessible Mobility Options

Getting around Tompkins County and surrounding communities with a disability can be challenging. This page can help you navigate the systems of support for local travel.

Accessible Mobility Services

  • ADA Service Rates are available for people with disabilities or limited mobility.
    • ADA Paratransit is available to persons who are ADA certified. Certification is obtained through an application process with TCAT. An application can be obtained by calling 277-9388 x421 (TTY: 277-9766). Learn more about ADA paratransit with TCAT. For assistance completing your application, contact the Finger Lakes Independence Center (FLIC) at 607-272-24
    • Gadabout serves people who have a disability, or who are 55 and older, who find it difficult to ride the bus. Call Gadabout at 273-1878 to set up your ride or learn more with Gadabout.

  • Service Discounts are available for seniors, youth and individuals with limited income.

    • TCAT half-fare pass options are available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability (SSD), Veterans Administration (VA) benefits, or other benefits. Contact TCAT at 607-277-RIDE TCAT TDD: (607) 277-9766 or view list of rates and eligible discounts.
    • Senior discounts are required by taxi services according to Ithaca city regulations.

Accessible Mobility Support

  • Travel Training: Challenge Workforce Resources provides one-to-one travel training to individuals with disabilities who receive support through their workforce programs. Call Challenge at (607) 272-8990 to learn more. 
  • Orientation and Mobility for Sight Impaired: Specially trained instructors teach orientation and mobility for people with vision loss. The training may include how to move about in a specific environment such as a home, school or work place. Learn more at Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment (AVRE) or call AVRE at (607) 724-2428.
  • Medical Transportation: Call 211 to see if you are eligible for a ride from Friends in Service Helping (FISH). For other options, access Way2Go’s full list of medical ride resources at way2go/medical or download or request a hard copy of Way2Go’s Medical Trips Rack Card.
  • Wheelchair Accessible Cabs: College Town Cab offers wheelchair accessible cab rides. Call in advance to reserve at 607-588-5888 or learn about Collegetown Cab for rate information. Taxi's are also required to provide discounted rates to seniors.

Last updated May 14, 2021